[SunHELP] LDAP

Robert Banniza rpbanniz at ascensionhealth.org
Thu Jan 24 22:09:02 CST 2002

As for the SSL encryption b/t clients and servers, I didn't think
Solaris 8 PAM modules would natively support SSL? Solaris 9 OTOH is
supposed to support SSL and is better suited for the iPlanet 5.x series.
I have been trying to get this set up on Solaris 8 for a couple weeks
and documentation is very sparse other than looking at Sun's Blueprints
site. Anyone have Solaris 8 authenticating off of iPlanet 5.1 DS with
SSL? I would love to know how you did it.

Thanks
Robert

Robert Banniza
Senior UNIX Administrator
Ascension Health
Phone: 812-228-2157
On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, Alan Rubin wrote:

| is LDAP the natural successor to NIS/NIS+?

Yes

| we are running NIS+ at our site and have become aware that support
from
| Sun is waning.  is LDAP included with the Sol 8 or 9 distributions or
is
| it an additional product at an additional price?  i haven't a clue
about
| LDAP.

"Full" LDAP support is in 8 and 9. There are LDAP PAM modules, LDAP name
service hooks for /etc/nsswitch.conf, and beginning with 9, iPlanet LDAP
server will ship with the OS (of course, you can use any LDAPv2-capable
server, such as OpenLDAP.)

The best things about LDAP is that it has a far better replication
mechanism than NIS, and supports SSL encryption between clients and
servers.

/dale
SunHELP maillist  -  SunHELP at sunhelp.org