[SunHELP] ide harddisk on ultra10

Dina-natha Das solaris at sjvc.org
Thu Jan 24 11:03:11 CST 2002

I also have Ultra 10 and I tried using 80GB, 60GB, 40GB and 30GB hard drives
on it. It appears that Solaris 8 (which I am using) supports only 30GB IDE
drives. Segate Fireball 3, 7200rpm drive worked just fine for me (I've put 2
of them in my Ultra 10, they work just fine and they are fast too).

When I tried to use drives bigger than 30GB I would get some random values
reported by format utility (very small sizes, like you mentioned, for 40GB
format would report around 6GB and around 14GB for 80 GB drive). When I
tried to use 30GB drive format reported 29.26GB (or something like that,
which is more less OK). If you are using Solaris 7 then I guess it has the
same limit as version 8.

Dnd.