[SunHELP] netbooting a SPARCstation 4 from slackware linux

Paul Mitcheson pmitcheson at iee.org
Mon Jan 21 03:54:55 CST 2002

Kristian,

I think the problem might be that you are using the onboard utp interface.  I
have an SS4 with Solaris 8 on, and that ethernet interface only comes actve
when the OS starts it.  (ie no link light until Solaris does 'starting ipv4
on le0')

Hit stop A and type test-net (I think that's right, but I'm not sat a a sun
at the moment so can't check) and t will test the ethernet interface.  Do
help test or help dig to see a list of related commands.

There may also be a test-net-tpe and a boot-net-tpe.  To boot off the twisted
pair you might need the second of these.

If you still have no joy, you might consider sticking a 10baseT transceiver
on the AUI port and seeing if that works.

You did do boot net already didn't you?  If you are just expecring the SPARC
to boot off the network by default, it could, but probably isn't setup like
that.

Regards,

Paul