[SunHELP] netbooting a SPARCstation 4 from slackware linux

Kristian Gunstone rju945l at tninet.se
Sat Jan 19 21:26:38 CST 2002

Hi there. I've got a SPARCstation 4 here, with no cd-rom or diskette station.
It does not have an OS on it either. I was planning on putting Solaris 8 onto
it via the network, but this seems to be harder than I thought. The first
thing that concerns me is that, after the SPARC is connected to the network
switch, the switch/NIC LED's don't light up, as if there was no computer
connected to it at all. I setup my Slackware Linux system with rarpd, arp,
bootpd and tftpd to function with the SPARC's MACaddress, but the SPARC isn't
recieving any ARP/RARP packets. I've never worked on a SPARC machine before,
so I'm a little lost here. All help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
	Kristian