[SunHELP] What hard drives work in a SPARCstation 20?

Phil Brutsche phil at giedi.obix.com
Fri Jan 11 14:49:13 CST 2002

> I don't know much about Sparc hardware but I've managed to acquire a
> SPARCstation 20 a long time ago and I recently got around to playing with
> it.  It currently has 2 hard drives in it, each are a gig.  I've looked up
> the specs on Sun's site and found out that it has a Fast SCSI controller.
> The problem is, that I don't know what kind of drives I can use with that.
> I've searched IBM's site and Seagate's and did a search on Google for "Fast
> SCSI Drives".  All I can find are Ultra Fast, Fast SCSI 2, and things like
> that.  Nothing that simply says Fast SCSI.

IIRC Fast SCSI == Fast SCSI 2

Really any of those drives will work, even the Ultra SCSI drives - they're
backwards-compatible with older non-Ultra controllers like whats on the
logic board of your SS20.

What you really need to look out for is the connector: the SS5 & SS20 take
SCA 80-pin drives, the older SS4 & SS10 take 50-pin SCI drives.

Phil