[SunHELP] What hard drives work in a SPARCstation 20?

Steve Wingate steve at velosystems.net
Fri Jan 11 14:01:36 CST 2002

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002 10:18:55 -0500
"Gusz, Stephen" <Stephen.Gusz at lehman.com> wrote:

> I don't know much about Sparc hardware but I've managed to acquire a
> SPARCstation 20 a long time ago and I recently got around to playing with
> it.  It currently has 2 hard drives in it, each are a gig.  I've looked up
> the specs on Sun's site and found out that it has a Fast SCSI controller.
> The problem is, that I don't know what kind of drives I can use with that.
> I've searched IBM's site and Seagate's and did a search on Google for "Fast
> SCSI Drives".  All I can find are Ultra Fast, Fast SCSI 2, and things like
> that.  Nothing that simply says Fast SCSI.  What type of SCSI drives can I
> use with this?  Will any of these work?  Guess I'm too used to the world of
> IDE drives.

The thing to keep in mind is that the internal SCSI connectors on a Sparc 20 are 10MB/s. You can find plenty of these drives around 4-5GB on Ebay, mostly used but some new. Alot of the used ones make alot of noise; some say because the fluid in the bearings begins to dry up. I have one disk in my Sparc20 but I installed the OS on an external disk using an UW SCSI card, which is quieter and gives me better speed.