[SunHELP] LCD/keyboard controllers for Suns?

sunhelp at sunhelp.org sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Jan 10 10:54:52 CST 2002

~    Are you happy with them?

Yes. I had to work in the datacenter for 3 days straigt, 20 hour days and
didn't suffer the usual backache from stooping over a keyboard/display on a
rack shelf. Obviously, you will have to find a height that is comfortable
for most of your people.

~    Do you need some sort of PS2 <-> Sun keyboard/mouse
~ adapters, or does HP
~ make somethign that'll plug right in to those ports? (Or does
~ it communicate
~ solely over the network?)

They expect to be connected to a PC style interface. Adapters would be
needed to talk to a 13W3 (they exist) and I think modern Suns can talk to a
PC keyboard/mouse (or maybe something exists that will allow this).

~    The Lightwave ServerSwitches have five sets of 13W3, Sun
~ mouse, and Sun
~ keyboard ports coming in, plus one set going out; the active device is
~ selected with "UP" and "DOWN" buttons on the front and an LCD
~ shows which
~ system is actve (as does just wiggling the mouse!). They work
~ all right, but
~ they require that darn CRT monitor. If I could find a
~ rack-mounted LCD.
~ that'd be good, too, but my belief is that most of those
~ already have the
~ pointer built in.

Sounds like you will still need the lightwaves or some other console server.
We use ServeSwitches to connect ~75 VALinux boxen to a single rackmount
keyboard/LCD monitor drawer.

~ >
~ > ...but the device we use simply replaces a standard VGA
~ > monitor/keyboard/mouse using standard cabling/connectors.
~ >
~    Sounds like just the ticket! What's it called?

Don't remember, but they are Hewlett Packard products.