[SunHELP] Jumpstarting/netbooting a SparcStation 5

Torbjorn Kristoffersen sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Jan 4 23:13:16 CST 2002

I've been trying for a while now to make Solaris be jumpstarted from
a FreeBSD server. AFAIK every file is correct, and I've followed the
steps to making a SS5 booting from the network.

Earlier this week I had a x86 machine running Solaris 8 that managed
to Jumpstart the SS5 just fine. But with FreeBSD things seem to be different.
I don't understand why it doesn't work. I've been booting NetBSD
from the same FreeBSD machine before.

The files used by rarpd, bootparamd and tftpd are correct,
and the services are started (Including NFS).

..(Note: sun/..1.8 is the SS5, while hal/..1.1 is the FreeBSD box).

	/etc/ethers:
		8:0:20:76:3f:cf sun

	/etc/bootparams:
		sun root=hal:/sol/jump_5.7/Solaris_2.7/Tools/Boot \
		install=hal:/sol/jump_5.7 \
		boottype=:in \
		install_config=hal:/sol/jumpstart \
		rootopts=:rsize=32768 \
		sysid_config=hal:/sol/jump_5.7

 	/tftpboot (dir):
		C0A80108.SUN4M@                 rm.192.168.1.8
		inetboot.SUN4M.Solaris_2.7-1

	/etc/hosts:
		192.168.1.8	sun

	/etc/exports:
		/sol -alldirs -ro

 .The FreeBSD box (.1)...

	$ showmount -e localhost
	Exports list on localhost:
	/sol                               Everyone

 .The SS5 (.8)'s console when I try to boot it...

	ok boot net - install
	Automatic network cable selection succeeded : Using TP Ethernet Interface
	1a800
	Server IP address: 192.168.1.1
	Client IP address: 192.168.1.8
	Automatic network cable selection succeeded : Using TP Ethernet Interface
	hostname: sun
	domainname: (none)
	root server: hal
	root directory: /sol/jump_5.7/Solaris_2.7/Tools/Boot
	SunOS Release 5.7 Version Generic [UNIX(R) System V Release 4.0]
	Copyright (c) 1983-1998, Sun Microsystems, Inc.
	-

And it just stops. Behind the scenes I see bootparamd (which is run with the
-d option):

	whoami got question for 192.168.1.8
	This is host sun
	Returning sun   (none)    192.168.1.3
	getfile got question for "sun" and file "root"
	returning server:hal path:/sol/jump_5.7/Solaris_2.7/Tools/Boot
	getfile got question for "sun" and file "rootopts"
	getfile failed for sun
	getfile got question for "sun" and file "rootopts"
	getfile failed for sun
	getfile got question for "sun" and file "rootopts"
	getfile failed for sun
	getfile got question for "sun" and file "root"
	returning server:hal path:/sol/jump_5.7/Solaris_2.7/Tools/Boot

It does this for about 30 seconds and then all network activity
between these boxen seizes.

I tried this with a Linux box running the exact same setup, and ended
up with the same problem.

Anyone know what might be the problem? Why is BSD and Linux's bootparamd
only responding to the "root" file?
Have I missed something important?

Any help appreciated

Sincerely,