[SunHELP] capturing syslog file

Dale Ghent daleg at elemental.org
Wed Apr 10 14:56:09 CDT 2002

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, Sathiyaseelan, Sr.SystEng, SCSM/NCB wrote:

| Hi All ,
|
| i need some idea/help , there few routers connected in a network environment
| which has NMS ( network monitoring system ) control by Unix server . i need
| help on how to capture all the syslog file from the router to a unix server
| , so that i can see all the syslogs . Any idea ???? For now we can view the
| syslogs because is not being captured .Can unix do these ???? PLS ASSIST ME
| !!!! THANKS

Sounds like you're freaking out.

Anyhow, configure your routers to send syslog messages to you Sun server
running syslogd, and then configure syslogd (in /etc/syslog.conf ) to save
the logs from the routers in the file you wish.

man syslogd

and if you're running Cisco gear, see the 'logging' configuration
commands. Here's a snippet of my Cisco config:

logging trap debugging
logging facility local6
logging xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

This will configure the router to send syslog messages to a server at
'xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx' IP address, in the syslogd facility of local6.

/dale