[SunHELP] /bin/sh || /sbin/sh ?

Thu Apr 4 21:43:49 CST 2002

thanks for the clarification, I snoozed on this one I admin linux as well an

I believe source confusion came from the symlink /bin/sh -> /bin/bash.
The source dirs gave hints too.
egad!

=).

-----Original Message-----
From: Larry Snyder [mailto:larrys at lexis-nexis.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 04, 2002 10:16 PM
To: RMarkham at hafeleamericas.com
Subject: Re: [SunHELP] /bin/sh || /sbin/sh ?

This is an easy one.  You want root's default shell to be statically linked.
If something breaks and you have to bring the box up single, you don't need
the grief of a shell that has .so libs it can't find. Users should have the
/bin/sh, as it takes less space, etc.  They're both Bourne shells with the
same characteristics, but root needs a bit more bulletproofness. HTH,
-ls-