[SunHELP] /bin/sh || /sbin/sh ?

Thu Apr 4 20:33:55 CST 2002

I noticed a discrepency between a couple of my boxes where roots shell was
set to /bin/sh
on one and /sbin/sh on the other.

# ls -l /bin/sh
-r-xr-xr-x   4 root     root       95316 Jan 18 18:08 /bin/sh
# ls -l /sbin/sh
-r-xr-xr-x   2 root     root      286884 Jan 18 18:08 /sbin/sh

I had thought /bin/sh was choice but given this.......:

# file /bin/sh
/bin/sh:        ELF 32-bit MSB executable SPARC Version 1, dynamically
linked, stripped
# file /sbin/sh
/sbin/sh:       ELF 32-bit MSB executable SPARC Version 1, statically
linked, stripped

and the fact that the remainder of my boxes have /sbin/sh,

....that idea gets shot out the window.  I obviously want statically linked
on any box
with a /usr mount point.   So what gives?  Is it a backup shell or is
/bin/sh wear'n a bourne
logo?  =) anyways input on this would help settle my soul.