[SunHELP] E3500 / partition is getting full

Tim Bell sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Sep 28 02:57:06 CDT 2001

Files found in /proc are the address spaces of running processes--not
standard UNIX files. Each filename is, in fact, just the PID of the
running processes. The most confusing part--the file's size--is actually
quite simple: It's the total amount of memory (image size) the process
uses. This amount doesn't represent actual bytes on disk, so you're not
losing precious disk space to the files under /proc. When you reboot it
just clears the address spaces of the running processes (AKA clears
memory), hence, /proc will be smaller. Periodically check what processes
are running(top). See if any of them are constantly taking up allot of
memory. Try to spot zombies, etc, etc. DO NOT TRY TO DELETE ANYTHING
FROM THIS DIRECTORY!

It's always a safe bet to increase memory.

But what do I know... I'm just some poor out of work sysad.
timmy!
tim at menus.com