[SunHELP] NIC speed questions

Phil Brutsche sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Sep 25 19:57:16 CDT 2001

On Tue, 2001-09-25 at 16:18, Shain Miley wrote:
> Hi,
> I was wondering if anyway knows how I can tell the current speed a NIC card in
> a Solaris 7/8 machine.  Right now be have a 10Mbit network but we are thinking
> of getting some new equipment so that we can upgrade to 100Mbit.

Ok, but keep in mind that not all of your existing equipment will work @
100Mbit.  The equipment that can't will still use 10Mbit.

> Also We have a SPARC Station 5 that has a NIC that looks built into
> the motherboard.  Is there any way to disable that NIC and install one
> capable of 100Mbits (if this one is not, as right now I don't know how
> to check what speed a card is capable of)?

The SS5 on-board ethernet is only 10Mbit half duplex.  There is no way
to get it to do anything else.  There is also no way to "turn it off";
no such step is needed.  Once you've installed a FastEthernet sbus card
(to my knowledge there is only one supported by Sol7/8) you just
configure the OS to use that ethernet interface (which would be hme0)
rather than the built-in ethernet interface (which is le0).

--

Phil