[SunHELP] System Bottleneck

Greg sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Sep 21 15:10:23 CDT 2001

On 09/21/01 08:01 AM, Fletcher, Joe wrote:

> I'd start by increasing the size of the swap area. Having swap < physical is
> generally a bad idea unless you are running in lazy mode.

Why is it bad?  Assuming you aren't running Solaris 1 then there aren't
any resources wasted or performance problems associated with having less
swap than physical memory.  Solaris 2 doesn't require that there be
_any_ swap let alone any restrictions on the size when it's larger than
zero.  If you do have swap (and really use it) then larger swap areas
are worse for performance than having multiple smaller swap areas spread
across multiple disk spindles.

-greg