[SunHELP] Fast Data Access MMU Miss

Greg sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Sep 14 13:29:36 CDT 2001

Mike wrote:

> Hi, I got the machine to boot off the network, thanks for everyone's
> help. I am now having some MORE problems with this machine.
>
> When I boot from the network, it tftp's the boot loader (boot.net from
> OPenBSD), and loads it. I then get the above error messge.
>
> I did review other mailing lists, and it apparently is a problem with the
> external cache size.

Not on an Ultra 2.  That error is the equivalent of a "segmentation
violation" in a user app.  It's usually caused by a NULL pointer
dereference or the like.  It can be caused by so many things that
without debugging it there's not a lot of advice that can be provided.
It could be the result of bad hardware (if you're not sure that the
hardware is 100% sane) or something as simple as the OpenBSD boot.net
not handling some error condition very well and dereferencing a bad
pointer instead of displaying a helpful message.

-greg