[SunHELP] problems booting with "boot net" and "boot cdrom"

Mike sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Sep 11 00:29:12 CDT 2001

------=_NextPart_000_008C_01C13A61.29836440

Hi, I am happy to find out there is a "help" mailing list for general =
questions. I am fairly new to using Sun machines, but I have extensive =
knowledge of *NIX itself.

I am trying to get a ultra enterprise 2 machine back on it's feet. The =
CD-ROM just hangs after typing "boot cdrom", and in the same time there =
is no activity light on the drive. Bad cdrom?=20

As far as booting from the network, I think I am missing some things. I =
found alot of docs on the internet, but they are all different in the =
procedures a sun box takes in booting from the network. Can anyone list =
this order of sequence? I understand that first an ip is needed, so a =
RARP request gets broadcasted. I have setup a rarp daemon, and I no =
longer get "Timeout waiting for arp/rarp packet". I assume when the sun =
box gets this reply, it tries to tftp to the machine that sent the reply =
and fetch a filename that's the machines IP in hex. Where does bootp =
come into play? Or doesn't it?=20

Can anyone recommend a good sun book to start off with?

Thanks alot, I greatly appreciate any help!

Mike

------=_NextPart_000_008C_01C13A61.29836440

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi, I am happy to find out there is a =
"help"=20
mailing list for general questions. I am fairly new to using Sun =
machines, but I=20
have extensive knowledge of *NIX itself.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I am trying to get a ultra enterprise 2 =
machine=20
back on it's feet. The CD-ROM just hangs after typing "boot cdrom", and =
in the=20
same time there is no activity light on the drive. Bad cdrom? =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>As far as booting from the network, I =
think I am=20
missing some things. I found alot of docs on the internet, but they are =
all=20
different in the procedures a sun box takes in booting from the network. =
Can=20
anyone list this order of sequence? I understand that first an ip is =
needed, so=20
a RARP request gets broadcasted. I have setup a rarp daemon, and I no =
longer get=20
"Timeout waiting for arp/rarp packet". I assume when the sun box gets =
this=20
reply, it tries to tftp to the machine that sent the reply and fetch a =
filename=20
that's the machines IP in hex. Where does bootp come into play? Or =
doesn't it?=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Can anyone recommend a good sun book to =
start off=20
with?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks alot, I greatly appreciate any=20
help!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Mike</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_008C_01C13A61.29836440--