[SunHELP] Another possibly unanswerable question about AXI memory (fwd)

sunhelp at sunhelp.org sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Sep 7 03:57:04 CDT 2001

> I have two pieces of HB56SW3272ESK-5 "256MB Buffered EDO DRAM DIMM
> but in my Ultra AXi board they
> show up as 128MB sticks. I checked the bank layout and my configuration
> matched the AXi manual's admonitions...
>
> 	SPARCengine(tm)Ultra(tm) AXi (UltraSPARC-IIi 360MHz)
> 	socket U0404 has a 256MB DIMM
> 	socket U0403 has a 256MB DIMM
> 	socket U0304 has a 128MB DIMM
> 	socket U0303 has a 128MB DIMM
> 	empty sockets: U0402 U0401 U0302 U0301
> 	total memory = 768MB

   Your first problem is that those are 50ns chips.

> I'm wondering if I managed to end up with 10-bit column address 256MB
> dimms here--somehow I thought they were all 11-bit at this size. The

 Have you done any kind of troubleshooting yet? Like remove
the original pair and see if your new pair still behave the
same way. What does POST reveal? Have you tried
calling/emailing Hitachi Semiconductor to verify column
width on those chips? It would be nice if they work
(I could use some in mine), but so far it doesn't look like
they match the required specs.

 -david