[SunHELP] HD 20 Gb installed on Solaris 2.6

Greg sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Sep 6 23:32:06 CDT 2001

harry wrote:

> But when i installed in Solaris 7 & Solaris 8,
> everything is fine ... my HD (20 Gb) can detect full
> (about 18,9 Gb) ...
> anykind  patches (for solaris 2.6)  or anything  that
> i can do to solve this problem.

Solaris 7 is the patch for Solaris 2.6.

Solaris 7 supports EIDE disks larger than 8GB on SPARC.
Solaris 8 10/00 supports EIDE disks larger than 32GB on
SPARC.

Solaris 2.6 supports disks up to 8GB unless you can
find one with the [disk] firmware option to give a
valid C/H/S geometry for the actual size of the disk.
Sun has some >8GB disks that don't have that workaround
for broken PeeCee BIOS implementations but most disks you
buy off the shelf force that workaround upon you.

-greg