[SunHELP] Minimalist Solaris install...

Greg sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Sat Sep 1 20:31:03 CDT 2001

Tugrul Galatali wrote:

> 	Anyway to get Solaris installed in under 300MB? The core system doesn't
> seem to include anything optional I can get rid of. I just want a very
> minimal OS w/ compiler tools so I can get gcc running. Building a compute
> server.

The core install minus the PCMCIA packages plus some local packages
(squid/ipfilter) plus the mdb packages for kernel debugging consume
271MB on my machine:

Filesystem            kbytes    used   avail capacity  Mounted on
/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0    2052750  278224 1712944    14%    /

You'd have to add the few packages necessary to use a compiler (header
files, archive libraries, etc) but 300MB seems achievable.

-greg