[SunHELP] two syslog actions?

Jarrett Carver sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Mar 29 15:17:55 CST 2001

It is possible to specify two actions for a single event:

kern.debug                     /var/adm/messages
kern.debug                     root,operator

This appends the /var/adm/message and attempts to write root and operator's
terminal if they are logged in.

I don't beleive syslogd can email a user, but I could be wrong. The system I
am more accutomed to would be to have all messages logged localy and sent to
a loghost. Then have swatch ( a perl script that is freely available )
monitor the log file and take actions depending criteria set-up, such as
emailing me when a critical message comes in.