[SunHELP] RE: Netscape Not Resolving URL's

Brian Hechinger sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Mar 23 23:47:51 CST 2001

> Netscape Not Resolving URL'sCheck and make the nscd daemon is running. Next
> check it's configuration file localted at /etc/nscd.conf. Netscape often
> needs some tweaking here.

what should it be??  obviously the default isn't enough since i have constant
problems with nutscrape (i've started using IE5 of all things)

> /etc/nsswitch.conf  ( files dns ) *** Should this be dns files **** or does
> it matter?

yes it does.  "files dns" is the prefered since you can over-ride DNS by placing
stuff in /etc/hosts

> /etc/resolve.conf     ( is configured by DHCP server and is correct )

then don't mess with it.

> nscd                      ( is running,  I will check /etc/nscd.conf when I
> get home )

blah, silly netscape.

> As I stated in my post, nslookup, StarOffice, and Mozilla all work fine.
> They resolve
> URL's without problem.  Netscape is the only problem child I have.

let me quote myself by saying, "Netscape is POOP."

netscape used to rule, but obviously the wrong person has gotten their hands on
netscape since it has sucked since 2.mumble

IE5 for Solaris is far better (as sad as that sounds) but so far i have had far
less trouble with it.  that isn't to say i've had no problems with it, i still
seem to see the DNS problem (reload the page and it works) although far less
often as with Nutscrape.

cheers,

-brian