[SunHELP] [Q] Need your suggestion to upgrade SUn server?

Les sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Mar 15 10:23:18 CST 2001

It has been my (limited) experience with Solaris & AIX & even HPUX
that the processor speed has less to do with performance using Oracle
than does I/O.
The fastest box I've ever worked with was crippled because the
vendor used RAID 5 for heavy read/write tablespaces. Dramatic
improvement occurred when we went to straight mirroring.

Unless the 280R (which I have seen only on the SUN site)
is dramatically different from the 420R (of which we run 2),
I think you're limited to only 4 PCI slots. Add a NIC, down
to 3 available.
There are 2 PCI busses at different speeds, so you want the
FC/AL cards in the fast one, thus 2 FC/AL connections and
2 processors. If you use one of the 5000 series of arrays you
will probably want to connect 4 ways. Unless SUN has a new
PCI FC/AL card with 2 GBICs, you can't. Our FC/AL PCI cards
only have one GBIC each (and they're not replaceable in operation
- have to replace entire card)
A super fast processor sitting idle while I/O bound does not do
much for performance. If you intend to make heavy use of the
internal drives (limited to 2, I think) the FC/AL interface for internal
drives helps, but the 450 allows many more internal drives -
thus more spindles. The DBA standing next to me is saying
"tell him more spindles, not bigger drives AND MORE RAM)
I think Oracle would tell you (and our DBAs certainly do)
that more, but slower, processors and more disk controllers
and spindles (to slice up I/O loads) would give you
greater flexibility and performance. The E450 is a great box.
Sorry to rattle on, I'll shut up now!

NOTE: To Cover My A**
OBVIOUSLY this is ONLY my OPINION, not a recommendation.

Les