[SunHELP] [Q] Need your suggestion to upgrade SUn server?

Björn Ramqvist sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Mar 15 09:06:28 CST 2001

L wrote:

> We plan to purchase a new SUN server to replace our old SUN 1000E server.
> The possible server we will choose:
>
>  . SUN E450 4 X 480 Mhz                     . SUN 280R 2 X 750 Mhz
>
>                       E450                                280R
>                     --------------                     --------------
> SPECint_rate2000       10.9 (4 cpu)                     8.97 (2 cpu)
> SPECft_rate2000        11.1 (4 cpu)                     9.4  (2 cpu)
>
> can anyone give me some suggestions:
>
>   1. which one shoule I choose?

I can't really answer that question since there are so many factors
involved. Money, performance, life-time and God knows what... One thing
I wouldn't bet too much on is the E450. Outdated machinery that could
live a far happier life with more masculine I/O and processors, but it
doesn't.

>   2. which benchmark Specft2000 ot SPECint2000 more important for ORACLE
> DB, especially on OLTP?

>From what I know, CINT2000_Rate refers to pure integer-based number I/O
stressing the machine, CFP2000_Rate is pure floating point.

>   3. any other suggestion?

It's sad to see that Sun haven't replaced the E450 in such a long time,
not even popping in more powerful CPUs in it. Seriously, my favourite
(for the moment) is the Alpha ES40/833 rating 24.7 CINT2000_Rate and
26.1 CFP2000_Rate with all four CPUs. I/O-rate is enormous. And, add the
price-tag to that. Compaq is well-spent money nowadays, thanks to the
Digital purchase.

What I'm looking for on the Sun arena is a competent 4-Way
UltraSPARC-III server that can replace the outdated E450. The Blade is a
step in right direction, but they aren't servers.

Just my $0.02

/Bjorn