[SunHELP] upgrading samba

ChrisBotha at CTNDDN ChrisBotha at CTNDDN
Mon Mar 12 23:23:21 CST 2001

Hi,

Maybe this is a bad recommendation, but have you ever thought of running
Sun's PC netlink instead?

-----Original Message-----
From: Wolfgang Engelien [mailto:wolfgang at hanazono.med.cornell.edu]
Sent: 12 March 2001 10:08
To: sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Subject: Re: [SunHELP] upgrading samba

First of all thanks for your info.

Can I leave the old samba running while installing
the new and then just switch over (and maybe back, if
there are some unexpected difficulties)?

Thanks,
Wolfgang

>the one big gotcha that you have to watch out for is: if you use the
prebuilt
>backage from sunfreeware.com copy your smb.conf off to somewhere else
first.
>the package has it's own smb.conf as an example, and the package install
just
>wipes out your smb.conf with the example one.  i know, i got burned with
this,
>luckily the person who was resonaible for maintaining samba on that machine
>had a hardcopy of the config file so we could rekey it back in.
>
>that's the only issue i know of, it doesn't overwrite the smbpasswd file or
>any other files to my knowledge, but please backup you smb.conf before
doing
>this!!!  this was the only problem i had going from 2.0.0 to 2.0.6
>
>cheers,
>
>-brian

#####
# Wolfgang Engelien
# Tel.: +1 (212) 746 3724
# Fax.: +1 (212) 746 5818
# email: wolfgang at hanazono.med.cornell.edu
#####
SunHELP maillist  -  SunHELP at sunhelp.org

The information in this e-mail is confidential and is legally privileged.
It is intended solely for the addressee.  If this email is not intended for
you, you cannot copy, distribute, or disclose the included information
to any-one

If you are not the intended recipient please delete the mail. Whilst
all reasonable steps have been taken to ensure the accuracy and
integrity of all data transmitted electronically, no liability is accepted
if the data, for whatever reason, is corrupt or does not reach it's
intended destination.
All business is undertaken, subject to our standard trading conditions
which are available on request.