[SunHELP] [Q] Need information on used RAM or re-engineer RAM?

Dale Ghent sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Mar 8 19:05:37 CST 2001

On Thu, 8 Mar 2001, L wrote:

| We have several SUN servers E4500, E450 and E250.  We plan to add some RAM
| to those servers.  The procurement people insist buy used RAM or
| re-engineer RAM.  he said even it is used or re-engineer, but still have
| SUN warranty on it.  Can anyone give me some ideal or point me to the web
| site.  Why I should NOT purchase a used RAM?

The only non-Sun RAM that I use is from Kingston.

But beware: I've ran into many, many MANY problems when mixing Kingston
and Sun RAM in most every kind of Sun server. Even when Bank 0 is all Sun
and Bank 1 is all Kingston, problems have occured (failing to boot,
freezing at the "Initializing Memory" place in the PROM, sudden crashes).

The rememdy to this situation I've found is to have all the RAM in a
system be from either Sun or Kingston, but never a mix. Mixing can work,
but I've ran into too many issues where a random server will fail and it
wouldnt boot again until all the sun RAM was removed and replaced with
kingston, or vice versa.

There is actually some legal static between Sun and Kingston regarding
this.

/dale