[SunHELP] /dev/sysmsg?

gonufer sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Jul 31 11:38:28 CDT 2001

Meng, Andrew wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can anyone tell me what /dev/sysmsg file is for? I means which command or
> utility write/read  to/from it? Does it connect to console?

% man sysmsg

Devices                                                sysmsg(7D)

NAME
      sysmsg - system message routing to console devices

SYNOPSIS
      /dev/sysmsg

DESCRIPTION
      The file /dev/sysmsg routes output to a variable set of con-
      sole  devices.  Writes to /dev/sysmsg are always directed to
      the  system  console  /dev/console,  and  are  in   addition
      directed  to  a  set of auxiliary console devices managed by
      consadm(1M).

      Only root has permission to write to this device.

-greg