[SunHELP] CDE mailer doesn't display INBOX in /var/mail

Eric Williams sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Jul 25 14:11:29 CDT 2001

This just isn't my day.

I have a user that has been using Pine and wants to be able to view Word
files that are attached to emails. I told her to try the mailer in CDE since
I have the PC File Viewer installed. After closing Pine and starting up the
mailer she can't see any of the files in /var/mail/username. We know they
are there, and if we go back to Pine they all show up, but the mailer won't
display them. We selected Local as the mailbox and the window title bars
shows that it is looking in /var/mail/username.

My sense is that there is a setting or configuration file somewhere that is
hiding all these read messages for some reason. If I log into the same
machine my /var/mail/username inbox area shows up fine.

Thanks for any tips!
--
Eric Williams                       Systems & Facility Manager
eric at astro.wesleyan.edu             Van Vleck Observatory