[SunHELP] ECC...

Michael Vang sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Jul 18 22:01:39 CDT 2001

I have a remanufactured Ultra 5 being delivered tomorrow and I have a
question concerning ECC memory...

I understand that some forms of ECC memory can detect errors and some kinds
can actually fix errors... Can the ECC algorithm catch all errors, or is it
possible for some to slip through? The reason I ask is because I have some
second-hand memory that I want to run but I am not sure of it's
reliability... If the system will alert me when there is an error, any
error, for any reason, then I see no problem in trying this memory out...
If, on the other hand, it is possible to have a faulty module and have the
system not catch it then I will pass...

I have used in the past, on my x86 box, a program to test my memory very
thoroughly... In fact, a surprising percentage of the memory I have tested
has proven faulty under this program... I know there is a memory checker
built into the POST on the Sun... I have read about it in the service
manual... Is there a more comprehensive checker available, or is the POST
checker sufficient?

Thanks!