[SunHELP] ultra 10 on the lan and the internet

Edward Chase sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Jul 18 11:49:49 CDT 2001

That would be a function of your firewall.

Assuming that your U10 has some sort of private network IP (something in
the 10.0.0.0, 172.16.0.0, or 192.168.1.0 networks for example), you'd need
your firewall to do address translation and allow the traffic to the
specific machine.

Your U10 would need a translated external IP address for those outside your
network to get to it.

For example, our web server locally is 172.16.35.3, however externally it
is 206.102.239.3

http traffic to 206.102.239.3 is passed through our firewall to 172.16.35.3

In our case, the 172.16.0.0 network is our DMZ.  When your there, you're
not truely on our internal network.  Be careful if you're allowing
outsiders direct access to your internal network.  Once that machine is
compromised, the hacker is now inside your network.

  Edward F. Chase III     |   echase at providence.edu
  Providence College      |   http://www.providence.edu
  Computer Services       |   http://studentweb.providence.edu
  Providence, RI  02918   |