[SunHELP] Slow newfs 36GB HD - Solaris 7

Sean Holden sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Jul 17 20:29:54 CDT 2001

I have been experiencing something odd on our new E450's. They have
4x480Mhz processors and 36GB internal hard drives. I have installed
Solaris 7 11/99 release. When I format one of the drives as a single
partition it takes over 7 minutes to newfs it. The same systems running
Solaris 8 only take about 30 seconds and our older E450's with the
slower processors also only take about 30-50 seconds. None of the
systems I have tested on have had any users or user processes running
when I test. I can't find any patches on sunsolve that seem to apply to
this issue and I have even opened a support call with sun but so far
noone there has been able to help (actually noone seemed interested in
helping, but thats another story.) Have any of you experienced
something like this? Anyone running the 480Mhz 450 with Solaris 7? Any
ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Sean