[SunHELP] gdm and sunrays

Rudy Avila sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Jul 17 11:51:43 CDT 2001

hi,
My name is Rudy,and I am in the process of setting up my Sunrays(solaris
8,sunray server 1.3) on the
local eth1 which are setup to have an ip address handed to them from the
dhcpd on a 192.168.128.x network.ok,with that in mind,I have gnome running
on a linux box redhat 6.2 with the setup identical to the following
procedure outlined at
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/XDMCP-HOWTO/procedure.html#SYSTEM
in addition,the redhat box has a fqdn ip,but not important. Now to
continue,for some odd reason the root terminal which is not on the
192.x.x.x network aka console, can login remotely to the gnome
machine with the following ip's
the gnome workstation -> 144.162.122.61 #it is serving gdm broadcasts
the solaris server -> 144.162.120.231 #a fqdn,
the solaris nic giving ip's -> 192.168.128.1 #
For some reason,which may be related the the gdm libs or Xlibs,only
sunrays 0-9 can connect,but sunrays 10-23 cannot.Right now we do have 23
sunrays,with more to come.I have exhaustively researched for a solution,I
have put the gdm server on the same subnet of 192.168.x.x but still,only
sunrays 4,8,2 connect,sunrays 12,18..etc cannot.I have put entries in
/etc/hosts.allow to say ALL:ALL(by the way this machine goes in to single
user,when I go home :/),put an entry of xhost +localhost
and xhost +meta,meta being the dhcp serving nic name of xhost
+"nic's names_serving_ips_to_the_subnet" ,which is in
escense,192.168.128.1.....still no dice.Currently I have stock redhat
6.2,no upgrades on anything whatso ever.I ran into the possibility of
glibc being the culprit behind this.Maybe it is Xauthority creating
cookies it will not accept.If you have some advice(no,not the hammer :>)
the info would be most welcome.Thanks guys.

regards,
Rudy Avila
sysadmin?,unix only of course .

ra at clyde.dcccd.edu