[SunHELP] [off topic]Freebsd intel

Paul Dlug sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Jul 13 16:29:40 CDT 2001

Yes it's an account equivalent to the root user but obviously different shell. I can't remember if it's there by default or added when you install the bash package. It's there so you can have a root account with a more friendly shell setup while still having 'root' nice and secure with a shell that is statically linked so that if /usr can't be mounted you can still do maintenance (last I checked bash had more library dependencies). Some shops also use it as the 'operator' account, giving their admins the password for 'toor' but not for 'root'. Of course under 4.x the root shell is tcsh which is more user friendly than the older csh, but I guess the logic is still to keep the root shell simple.

--Paul