[SunHELP] Error During shutdown/reboot -RPC Program not Registered

Sash Dhru sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Jul 13 14:31:30 CDT 2001

--0-311795961-995052690=:15198

I have a Ultra 10 running Sol 5.8(4/01). We are using this machine as a mobile demo for our software and so it needs to be shut down and hauled all over the place very often. Being the default admin, I need to bring it down and up again but am facing a problem. Everytime is issue the command 'SHUTDOWN' the machine tries to shutdown but gives the message

showmout - Program Not registered. RPC Do you want to continue(y/n) -

On saying Yes, the machine shuts down but on starting it again, there is always a filesystem error and I need to run fsck which sometimes does not solve the problem (It does check and adjusts everything usually but a couple of times, there was a bad magic number error) and to do that I need a monitor which is not always easy to come by.

This is a standalone machine and has no cross mounted or shared file systems with just one oracle, one sybase and one proprietary software instance running with minimal data(5 tables, 10 rows each..)

Is there something I am doing wrong? Being a relative newcomer to Unix, I am not sure of all that is happening during the process and I havent come across the correct documentation, yet.

Could someone please point me in the right direction.

Thanks a lot

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
--0-311795961-995052690=:15198

<P>I have a Ultra 10 running Sol 5.8(4/01). We are using this machine as a mobile demo for our software and so it needs to be shut down and hauled all over the place very often. Being the default admin, I need to bring it down and up again but am facing a problem. Everytime is issue the command 'SHUTDOWN' the machine tries to shutdown but gives the message</P>
<P>showmout - Program Not registered. RPC Do you want to continue(y/n) - </P>
<P>On saying Yes, the machine shuts down but on starting it again, there is always a filesystem error and I need to run fsck which sometimes does not solve the problem (It does check and adjusts everything usually but a couple of times, there was a bad magic number error) and to do that I need a monitor which is not always easy to come by.</P>
<P>This is a standalone machine and has no cross mounted or shared file systems with just one oracle, one sybase and one proprietary software instance running with minimal data(5 tables, 10 rows each..)</P>
<P>Is there something I am doing wrong? Being a relative newcomer to Unix, I am not sure of all that is happening during the process and I havent come across the correct documentation, yet.</P>
<P>Could someone please point me in the right direction.</P>
a year!<BR><a href="http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/?.refer=tagline">http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/</a>
--0-311795961-995052690=:15198--