[SunHELP] Help!!! changing /etc/system, system is down

Dale Ghent sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Jul 13 11:10:10 CDT 2001

On Fri, 13 Jul 2001, Dottie Weaver wrote:

| Help please, I have rebuilt a Sun server and it no longer uses md but the
| problem is when I reboot the bootblk looks for the md's from the /etc/system
| file. I am unsure as to how this file should be setup not using md's.
| If anyone could fill in the blanks maybe a sample of a generic system file
| would be of great help.
| Thanks in advance.

To fix this, do the following:

>From the 'ok' prompt: boot -as

Accept the default for all questions asked, but when it asks you the
location of /etc/system, specify /dev/null

You should then boot into single-user mode. edit /etc/system and remove
all md-related lines. especially make sure that the rootdev line is
commented out or removed. save and reboot.

The server should then come up fine.

/dale