[SunHELP] HELP FR SUNBLADE1K!!!

Greg sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Jul 13 00:12:57 CDT 2001

On Thu, 12 Jul 2001 18:17:23 -0700 (PDT)  shivraj yadav wrote:
> I am having Sun Balde 1000 on which was loaded solaris
> 9. Now it seems to have crashed & im trying to reload
> Solaris 8 without avail.
> Now what i fail to understand is when i am booting
> from a CD why is it asking me to enter the kernel file
> name ??

Solaris 8 does not support the UltraSPARC III processor or the Sun
Blade 1000 platform.  The Solaris 8 10/00 Update was the first Solaris
release to support them, there are now newer Updates that you can use.

Solaris 9 also works well depending on the build, you really shouldn't
be using it unless you are part of an external testing program.  If
you are part of such a program then report problems to your Sun
contacts directly, the sunhelp mailing is the wrong place to report
pre-release Solaris 9 problems.

> Can anyone please help me out of this ?? How do i
> repair the existing fs

What's wrong with it?  fsck'ing a filesystem which is mounted
read/write is more likely to cause problems than fix them.  The system
checks and repairs the file systems automatically when you boot.  Your
machine boots fine and starts the windowing system; that's a good
sign.  Now check /var/dt/Xerrors and other recently-modified files in
/var/dt for possible clues as to why the windowing system is having
problems.  Also check /var/adm/messages.  Can you ping/rlogin into the
machine via the network when the USB keyboard becomes unresponsive?
Does STOP-A work correctly?

Also read the pkgchk man page and run pkgchk to verify that the
Solaris files haven't been damaged.

> or else how do i go about
> installing a fresh OS on the system??

Be sure to use a version of the OS that supports the system you're
trying to install and it will work much better!

-greg