[SunHELP] SS20 vs Blade 100

Kevin Stevens sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Jul 10 00:33:42 CDT 2001

I had very nearly exactly that same setup (only two processors but 256MB RAM)
and went to a B100.  Compiles sped up by about a factor of four, Solaris 8
login window to CDE appearing with the toolbar at the bottom went to, if I
recall, 11 seconds from MUCH longer with the SS20 (don't remember that time).
Interactive GUI work was perceptually much faster all around.

The only thing I'd be concerned with is that I imagine you could get
disk-bound if you're doing lots of IO - the EIDE drive is a reasonable
performer but it does drive up the CPU more than a SCSI drive.  Of course you
could just throw in a SCSI card.

KeS

> I have a SS20 (HyperSPARC Quad 125Mhz 512K Processors, 1-9GB, 1-1GB HHDs,
192MB RAM 8MB
> VSIMM SX). I'm think about buying a Blade 100. I use my SS20 for my hosting
and email. Is
> it worth buying a Blade to replace it? I've read some posts on it and most
of them are
> inclusive. If your using graphics, then you could probably stay with the
SS20. Other are