[SunHELP] SS20 vs Blade 100

Gregory Leblanc sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 9 22:36:09 CDT 2001

On 09 Jul 2001 22:00:32 -0400, Theo White wrote:
> I have a SS20 (HyperSPARC Quad 125Mhz 512K Processors, 1-9GB, 1-1GB HHDs, 192MB RAM 8MB
> VSIMM SX). I'm think about buying a Blade 100. I use my SS20 for my hosting and email. Is
> it worth buying a Blade to replace it? I've read some posts on it and most of them are
> inclusive. If your using graphics, then you could probably stay with the SS20. Other are
> worried about the 256K cache of the 64-bit 500Mhz processor. Looking for some more input
> to reach a decision.

What sort of mail traffic are you handling with this thing?  If you're
not saturating your current machine, then there's no reason to upgrade.
I'd have some doubts about the IDE on the Blade handling under load as
gracefully as the SCSI on the SS20, but it might take a lot more to
saturate the Blade 100.  Hard to say, I haven't even saturated my SS20
yet.  :-)
	Greg