[SunHELP] Question regarding Solaris upgrade

Frank-Christian Kruegel sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 9 13:55:53 CDT 2001

On Mon, 9 Jul 2001 13:43:51 -0400, you wrote:

>I am a spot where I need to do a remote upgrade of Solaris, which means
>talking some illiterate monkey through the upgrade process. I have =
always
>done fresh installs, rather than upgrades, but this will be too =
difficult
>over the telephone.
>
>My question is, has anyone had any difficulties using the upgrade option=
>upgrade Solaris 2.5.1 to Solaris 2.6? Is there anything I should be =
cautious
>about?

I'd get a spare harddisk and a machine that is (nearly) the same type as =
the one
to upgrade (at least same architecture and same boot device i.e. esp or =
fas
scsi), install the OS on that disk and have the disk shipped to the =
monkey,
which will swap drives. Most machines allow two drives, so he could put =
in the
old drive as the second one, allowing you to copy files to the new disk.
Afterwards he sends back the old disk.

This gives you as much control as possible, and there is always a way =
back if
there is a problem.

Mit freundlichen Gr=FC=DFen

Dipl.-Ing. Frank-Christian Kr=FCgel