[SunHELP] arp command

DAUBIGNE Sebastien - BOR sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 9 12:46:58 CDT 2001

The "number" you requested is the MAC (ethernet, ...) address of the =
host.

To send packets to hosts directly attached to your LAN via IP, the =
kernel
has to maitain  an IP-to-Ethernet lookup table.
This job is done automatically by the kernel every time he sends =
packets to
a local host which is not already in the ARP table.

Every ARP table entry is cleared after a certain amount of time (TTL), =
so
that the entry could be refreshed if the corresponding host's IP =
address
changes.

So you don't usually have to issue "arp -d", even "arp -s", at least =
for
Ethernet because the kernel does it.=20

If  you want to add back the entry you deleted, just send packets to =
the
host.

e.g. :   =20

# ping  hostname