[SunHELP] [Q] how to setup external disk as bootable disk?

sunhelp at sunhelp.org sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 2 16:14:08 CDT 2001

 Since you've verified that you do not have a device
alias for a disk at id #5 then you'll need to create
one first. Do devalias again to see the format that
the device tree is in and then use the nvalias command
to create an entry for your external hard-drive.

ok devalias
 (see what is already defined)
ok nvalias disk5 /iommu/sbus/..../sd at 5,0
 (obviously fill in the "...." with what you left out
   of your earlier post)
ok setenv boot-device disk5
 (as also suggested by Dennis)
ok printenv boot-device
 (just to double check that the change occurred)
ok reset
 (resets the system and should boot to the new disk5
   alias)

 Since you were able to figure out how to boot using
the full device path, then you probably already know
to make sure that you specify the correct scsi
controller but its worth mentioning in case anyone
uses this post to apply to their own problem.

 -david

> at the "ok" prompt:
>
>         setenv boot-device disk#  (# is the target number of the disk)
>         reset
>
>         example:  ok setenv boot-device disk2
>                   ok reset
>
> Dennis L. Lund

 It's alot easier to change the generic, default aliases
to your needs than it is to tailor your needs to some
generic, default aliases. This isn't a Microsoft world. :)