[SunHELP] Making IP addresses permanent

Big Endian sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Feb 12 14:46:44 CST 2001

>1. Make sure you plumb the card(s) after a reconfiguration boot (following
>physical install) first.  This step may not need to be done

done, card shows up in ifconfig after a reboot.

>2. create /etc/hostname.<NIC>[:i] - where NIC is the card (i.e. - hme0,
>hme1)  and [:i] would be a virtual IP instance (:1, :2, :3 etc)  This file
>should have one line in it...the hostname associated with this ip (for
>instance newhost).

I have hostname.hme0 and hostname.hme1 however this machine is going
to be a firewall and I don't want virtual IPs.

>3. vi /etc/hosts - put that hostname/ip in the hosts file

done

>4. ifconfig....to get it running this time....and then it will come up
>automatically from now on.

done but it doesn't stay up after reboots.  I want this address on
hme0 permanent and hme1 to do a DHCP config for testing then to goto
a permanent ip when one is assigned.

<snip>

Daniel Mayfield