Backing up data to tape WAS [SunHELP] mt and ufsdump problem

Jarrett Carver sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Feb 12 14:16:39 CST 2001

The fsf command will only work if you have already used the tape once.

Since FSF will try and fast forward over 1 EOF mark. If you have never wrote
to the tape, there is no EOF mark and it will forward to the end of the tape
without finding the EOF mark it is looking for.

I think what you want to do is UFSDUMP to a no-rewind tape device. This will
allow you to dump all partitions to a single tape (provided the tape has the
right capacity).

Example set the following to run one after the other:

ufsdump 0uf /dev/rmt/0cbn /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0
ufsdump 0uf /dev/rmt/0cbn /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s1
ufsdump 0uf /dev/rmt/0cbn /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s3
mt -f /dev/rmt/0 rewind

After it is done, to restore from s3 you would need to

mt -f /dev/rmt/0n fsf 2
ufsrestore if /dev/rmt/0n

(Note YOU MUST use the non-rewind device on both commands, otherwise the
tape will rewind. I know it obvious, but you would be surprised how many
people miss that).

Perhaps that is what you were trying to do?