[SunHELP] Solaris: What is good about it?

sunhelp at sunhelp.org sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Feb 5 02:45:12 CST 2001

--Boundary_(ID_WrOg4maJF1D/nxT06I8TRQ)

>I have experience running Windows, Linux, FreeBSD
>and Plan9 all on a pentium. However, I am curious
>what are the advantages of Solaris both on a pc
>and a SUN system over these OS's?

Biggest plus as far as I can see is stability. How many 'unplanned system
restarts'
do your Wintel boxes require per year? On our 24x6 systems we get very
concerned if this
figure exceeds one. Personally I think that Solaris is way better than most, if
not all, Unixes
at handling system load. I've had extensive experience of NT, Linux and AIX
(IBM's Unix).
And it's very scalable, all the way from a SPARCclassic (yawn) to an E10K,
(drooollll !!)

I've heard that Solaris is way better on SPARC than on x86, but even the x86
boxes we've got
are pretty reliable. Linux I love because of the wealth of software support,
and the fact that you
can get useful work out of a P100 or even 486! (Can't say the same about any
version of Windows
after v3.1).

<rant>
However, I would like to see a bit more focus in Solaris on making it easier to
admin. Microsoft
seem to have got that message loud and clear, Sun don't! Oh, and I don't mean
fancy GUI, Java
based tools, just soomething that the power users can delve in with. Oh (2) and
replace that crappy
printing system.....
</rant>

"Prepare to be azassinated" - Dyslexia of Borg.

This message is confidential.  It may also be privileged or
protected by other legal rules.  It does not constitute an
offer or acceptance of an offer, nor shall it form any part
of a legally binding contract.  If you have received this
communication in error, please let us know by reply then
destroy it.  You should not use, print, copy the message or
disclose its contents to anyone.

E-mail is subject to possible data corruption, is not
secure, and its content does not necessarily represent the
opinion of this Company.  No representation or warranty is
made as to the accuracy or completeness of the information
and no liability can be accepted for any loss arising from
its use.

This e-mail and any attachments are not guaranteed to be
free from so-called computer viruses and it is recommended
that you check for such viruses before down-loading it to
your computer equipment.  This Company has no control over
other websites to which there may be hypertext links and no
liability can be accepted in relation to those sites.

Scottish & Newcastle plc
Registered in Scotland, Registered Number 16288
Registered Office: 33, Ellersly Road, Edinburgh, EH12 6HX