[SunHELP] Problem in loading driver...

Dale Ghent sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Dec 24 02:09:13 CST 2001

On Mon, 24 Dec 2001, Amudhavalli  Narayanan wrote:

| Hi,
| I have developed a pseudo device driver for sun solaris and it has some
| problems and hence the system crashes. Now I want to boot the machine
| without my driver. But whenever boot is called the driver is getting added
| and hence crashes again. Is there a way of adding the driver from a
| directory other than /kernel/drv. If I go into the maintanence mode, the
| system mounts the file system as read only and hence the rem_drv fails. Can
| some one help me to find a way to avoid the crash during boot after
| installing a problematic driver?

Boot off of the CD into single user mode.

Mount the / filesystem of your drive and 'cd' into it

Copy etc/system to etc/system.nobroken

Edit etc/system.nobroken and include the line:

	exclude: drv/<module>

Save, umount the / fs, and 'init 0'

When presented with the 'ok' prompt, type: boot -a

Accept the defaults except for /etc/system. specify /etc/system.nobroken

This will make the kernel read that one instead, where it will see that it
should no load your broken module, avoiding the crash.

/dale