[SunHELP] RE: SunHELP digest, Vol 1 #1446 - 8 msgs

Tom Borton sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Dec 20 19:28:48 CST 2001

Youssoupha,

It really depends on the kernel version.  For "Linux 7.0" (btw, 7.0 is
the distibution version number, so knowing which distro you're using
would help next time <grin>), I would guess that you're using a 2.4
kernel, so instead of seaching for ipchains, look for iptables.  Try
http://www.linux.org under documentation to see if a how-to for iptables
has been written.  You might also try http://www.kernel.org, since
iptables is one of the new features of the kernel, so there might be
archived discussions.

The main difference is that iptables is a stateful packet filter,
ipchains is not.

For distros with the 2.4 kernel, some are leaving ipchains support out
by default (RedHat 7.2 is one for sure), but it can be compiled back in.
There are a lot more resources for ipchains out there because they've
been around for most of the 2.2 kernels.

A good book for hardening a Linux box is Maximum Linux Security from
SAMS (author "Anonymous" - probably Bill Gates).

Tom