[SunHELP] ethernet aliases

Lund, Dennis sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Dec 17 07:06:07 CST 2001

If you want them to be permanent, create a startup script that creates the
interfaces and routes at boot up.  We put the script in /etc/rc2.d.  Here is
an example:

As root:
# vi S82ipinit
# This sets the IP, netmask and broadcast address for interface hme0:1
/usr/sbin/ifconfig hme0:1 10.253.0.1 netmask 0xffffc000 broadcast
10.253.63.255 up
# This adds the route for the interface.
/usr/sbin/route add net   172.16.4.0    10.253.0.254  1

This brings up hme0:1 at boot up and creates the route for it.  If using
Solaris 8, you may also want to add the netmask to the /etc/netmask file.

Hope this helps.