[SunHELP] query on "tape" operation

Peter Stokes sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Fri Dec 14 06:10:42 CST 2001

Hi

It would be useful to know what tape drive you have (is it 2/4Gb drive?)

I am assuming it is 2/4Gb DDS1 tape drive. This has a nominal uncompressed
capacity of 2Gb and UPTO 4Gb with hardware compression on the tape. So if
your data will compress well, you will get 4Gb of data (this will include
the header stuff etc). If it does not compress well, you will get less. Also
the blocking size for the data can have significant effect on the amount of
data. General rule is smaller blocking size = less data on the tape as it
wastes more tape to store small blocks of data, than large blocks.

Hope this helps

Peter
Peter Stokes
Ashlyn Computer Services Ltd