[SunHELP] prngd / sshd

Nicholas Dronen sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Dec 12 10:16:43 CST 2001

On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 02:24:20AM -0800, Will Yardley wrote:
> i compiled openssh with prngd since this is supposed to be a bit better;
> however on my machine (a 110 Mhz Sparcstation 5 with 96M of ram, running
> solaris 8...  admittedly pathetic) i get this error whenever prngd
> starts:
>
> Dec 12 01:32:05 bacall prngd[24993]: [ID 646136 daemon.notice] prngd
> 0.9.23 (17 August 2001) started up for user root
> Dec 12 01:32:06 bacall prngd[24993]: [ID 710755 daemon.notice] have 7
> out of 256 filedescriptors open

These syslog messages don't suggest to me that you need to do
anything.  First, they're at LOG_NOTICE level, which is one
of the lowest types of message (above LOG_INFO and LOG_DEBUG).
Second, the message that mentions file descriptors doesn't
say that it wasn't able to open a file; it just says that
it has 7 descriptors out of 256 of them open.  It's probably
aware of the limit on the number of FILE pointers you can
have in a process on Solaris and is being a good third party
citizen by telling you how many of those it's using.

Regards,

Nicholas Dronen