[SunHELP] prngd / sshd

Will Yardley sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Dec 12 04:24:20 CST 2001

i compiled openssh with prngd since this is supposed to be a bit better;
however on my machine (a 110 Mhz Sparcstation 5 with 96M of ram, running
solaris 8...  admittedly pathetic) i get this error whenever prngd
starts:

Dec 12 01:32:05 bacall prngd[24993]: [ID 646136 daemon.notice] prngd
0.9.23 (17 August 2001) started up for user root
Dec 12 01:32:06 bacall prngd[24993]: [ID 710755 daemon.notice] have 7
out of 256 filedescriptors open

should i try to increase this in /etc/system (or somewhere else)? the
only information i found doing a quick google search was at the solaris
2 faq was:

In 2.3 in earlier this requires poking the kernel. In Solaris 2.4+, this
can be accomplished by adding the following lines to /etc/system:

* set hard limit on file descriptors
	set rlim_fd_max = 4096
	* set soft limit on file descriptors
	set rlim_fd_cur = 1024

but then:

    Programs using stdio or even library calls that use stdio may break
    when they have more than 256 files open as that is the stdio limit.
    Programs using many filedescriptors should try and reserve a number
    of low numbered file descriptors for use by stdio.

is this the case or do i just need to add more file descriptors?  are
there significant advantages (aside from a bit of speed) to using prngd?

thanks for people who responded to my other questions.  i had some
problems with my most recent install but it seems to be working now.

(*knock wood*)

--
The three wise men brought frank incest and mirth.