[SunHELP] solaris 8 install

Kevin Stevens sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Dec 11 08:48:44 CST 2001

On Tue, 11 Dec 2001, Will Yardley wrote:

> Kevin Stevens wrote:
> > On Tue, 11 Dec 2001, Will Yardley wrote:
> >
> > > i know that's not a lot to go on, but any guesses as to where things
> > > are going wrong?
> >
> > Uh, I'm guessing right about the point where you "rename a bunch of
> > init scripts"?!
> >
> > I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish, but why not do a nice
> > clean install and reboot the system before starting to muck around
> > with the startup procedure?
>
> well i've done about 6 nice clean installs.  however the 'nice clean
> install' leaves a craload of unecessary and / or insecure services
> running.
>
> i'm not just randomly renaming stuff; all the stuff i've renamed is
> stuff that i'm pretty sure isn't needed.

Ok.  The way you phrased it sounded a lot more random than that.

> obviously i've probably renamed one service that's needed somewhere....
> since the exact same thing has happened to me with each install.  next
> time i will definitely try to make fewer changes at once and reboot more
> frequently.  on such a slow machine it's really time consuming to do
> this all the time, though (and really frustrating when it breaks each
> time).

There are some good web pages on hardening Solaris out there.  I'm on a
slow link and don't have the luxury of browsing right now; but here are
some references:

- There's a page off of the www.sunhelp.org site that goes into gory
detail about hardening.

- Sun has a white paper, except they call them something else, about
securing a workstation.  Search on the sun site.  There's also a utility,
"arm" if I recall correctly which is unlikely, that lets you preview/set
different security levels.

- The Solaris 8 Security book has an excellent section on security and how
to disable unnecessary services and protocols.  Recommended.

Hope this helps.

KeS